What is A/B Testing?
A/B testing or split testing is a marketing experiment wherein the campaigner divides the audience into groups to test variations of a campaign to identify the variation that works best.
It is mostly used to check the marketing strategy or campaign that can drive the maximum business metrics. A/B testing basically eliminates all the guesswork.
After hearing the term, “A/B Testing” one might wonder what exactly A and B refer to? We have broken down the term to help you understand it better. A refers to the original testing variable, also known as control. On the other hand, B refers to the new version and is also known as variation.
While doing A/B testing, the users show some version of A to a group and some version of B to another group. It is useful to test considering the fact that not the same strategy works for all.
Investing in A/B testing can fetch wonderful business metrics. Thankfully, there are plenty of A/B testing software that can very easily help to grow your business in a positive direction.
The current market is housed with plenty of A/B testing software, and choosing the best one can be troublesome. We have made the task easier for you by listing the 15 best A/B testing software.
1. Google Optimize
This easy-to-use A/B testing software can even be used by a teenager for split testing. To use this software, you need to enter the link to the website you plan to optimize. You then need to download a Google Chrome extension to help you edit the website in live mode.
When clubbed with Google Analytics, Google Optimize provides you with an in-depth analysis of your A/B testing. It is a handy tool to optimize your website.
Google Optimize is designed for small companies as it is not quite efficient at testing large traffic.
- Integrated with Google Analytics
- Sends 100% of the traffic to the winning variation
- Supports code editor and visual WYSIWYG editor
- Easy to set up
- Supports multivariate tests and A/B testing
- The range of targeting options is extensive
- Limitation on number of tests that can be run simultaneously
- Supports only page-level testing
Google Optimize is free to use
With VWO, you can do A/B testing of almost anything with measurable metrics. However, it is mostly used to carry out A/B testing of marketing content, product features and business strategy.
VWO provides the expected conversion rate and conversion rate improvement data that you can analyze to choose a particular variation. The USP of VWO is that it can be used by both technical and non-technical users alike.
Apart from carrying out the basic A/B split testing, you can further use it to go beyond it. VWO supports the following modes of experimentation:
- A/B testing
- Multivariate testing
- Bandit mode
- Mutually exclusive
VWO comes with a centralized experimentation management system that keeps all the co-workers aligned. Also, the UX of the platform is designed in a manner that it is almost impossible to make a wrong inference.
- Multiple modes of experimentation
- Visual editor for conducting A/B testing of websites
- A fine-grained analysis of test
- The heat map makes it easier to trace activity on different pages
- Reporting feature provides insightful information
- Integration with Google Analytics
- Complex tests require coding knowledge
- The confidence level of the A/B test calculation cannot be adjusted
VWO supports the following packages: VWO Testing, VWO Fullstack, VWO Insights, VWO Deploy, VWO Engage, VWO Services and Conversion Optimization Essentials
These packages are further segregated into the following mini-packages. The pricing of the packages is available on demand.
Trusted by brands like eBay, Dolby and Pizza Hut, Optimizely is a huge brand when it comes to optimizing the digital experience platform. It truly helps you to unlock your digital potential.
Optimizely is the world’s fastest experimentation and an increased platform for a reason. It not only supports A/B testing but also provides the users with powerful insights for increasing the revenue.
With the A/B testing of Optimizely, you don’t need to second guess the preferences of your customers. It also supports multi-page experimentation and supports unique features like exclusion groups.
- Runs different types of A/B tests
- Stats engine provides a reliable result
- AI predictive audiences
- Editing variations to test is easy
- Results of the A/B test can be quickly copied with a point-and-click editor
- Supports preview and individual A/B tests
- It is resource-heavy
- The learning curve is steep
The pricing of Optimizely is available on request.
Freshmarketer is a service offered by Freshworks that allows you to validate your ideas with A/B testing. The intuitive editor of Freshmarketer is handy in creating different versions of websites to check which landing page variation can fetch the best result.
The A/B testing result of Freshmarketer covers detailed metrics on parameters like:
- Conversions over time
- Unique conversions
- Significance achieved
Other helpful features that Freshmarketer supports in respect to experimentation include integrated heatmaps and an advanced code editor.
- Integration with Google Analytics
- Tracks the amount of revenue that the A/B test has generated
- Supports multiple variations of URLs
- Supports multiple hypotheses for understanding shopping behaviour
- You can use Chrome extension for easy creation and management of campaigns
- Paid plans are pricey
- The product is at the developing stage and thus, filled with bugs
The A/B testing of Freshmarketer is available on the following three plans:
- Growth: Starts at $19
- Pro: Starts at $149
- Enterprise: Starts at $299
If you want to test and verify your hypothesis and then make an informed decision based on data, Glassbox is your platform. Glassbox is filled with smart A/B testing features like:
- Smart Editor: Helps in easy creation of experiments
- Autopilot: Exposes the best variation automatically
- A/B Testing Ideas: Supports 150 A/B testing ideas
- Hybrid Statistics: Guarantees speed and accuracy
In addition to that, the geolocation feature makes your message specific to the location to increase the impact. Also, Glassbox can be integrated with all the major CMS platforms.
- The user can run the tests on autopilot
- Identifies statistically significant result
- Personalized customer experience through SmartPlugins
- Straightforward recommendation based on analysis
- Funnel analysis
- Audience targeting
- Steep learning curve
- Playback and scrolling need improvement
Glassbox supports a 14-days free trial. The two available plans are:
- Solo: $49/month
- Team: $199/month
6. AB Tasty
Even the platform’s name throws a clear light on its work. AB testing is a valuable resolution when it comes to unlocking the potential of your business through experimentation.
You can use AB Tasty to create granular user segments for the A/B testing. To help you with the same, the platform supports configurable templates. The user can use the drag and drop editor to create variations in the testing.
You can track the performance of the experience by setting goals on AB Tasty. A few of the parameters that you can track to measure the success of the experimentation include:
- Action tracking
- Page tracking
- Browsing metrics
AB Tasty also supports the important third-party integration tools which are required for sharing the data of the performance. With the Bayesian statistics engine, you can make informed data-driven based decisions.
- AI-power psychographics and engagement-based segmentation
- ROI tracking of the experiments
- Multiple combinations of goals for performance tracking
- Easy to use for non-technical users
- The audience can be easily segmented
- Third-party integration
- Reporting suite can be better
The pricing of AB Tasty is available on request
7. Dynamic Yield
You can experiment with any digital property using Dynamic Yield with confidence. Dynamic Yield supports:
- A/B testing
- Multivariate testing
- Split URL testing
After the test, it also provides the users with the required recommendations. You can move beyond A/B testing with Dynamic Yield through its sophisticated targeting. The targeting can be tailored on the basis of
- Custom events
- Cookie values
- Business rules
- Behaviour and interaction of customers
Powerful statistical engines like the multi-armed bandit algorithms and Bayesian algorithms can further strengthen the result.
The USP of Dynamic Yield is that it allows the users to test both the client-side and server-side giving them total control.
- Supports multiple experimentation test
- Predictive targeting
- Agile statistical engine
- Supports client-side and server-side testing
- Test variations are supported with the WYSIWYG editor
- Integration with multiple marketing platforms
- Setting up the test is difficult
- Exporting data for off-site analysis is tough
The pricing of Dynamic Yield is available on request
Unbounce supports A/B testing that is data-driven and focuses on marketing. With the test, you can test variations of the landing pages and then choose the one that performs better. Setting up the test is extremely easy on the platform.
The A/B testing will provide you with information on:
- The behaviour of the visitors
- The motivation of the visitor for conversion
The user can duplicate the A/B testing for the existing pages with the tweaking that you need to do. Once the test is carried out, you can draw comparisons between the conversion data to choose the best landing page.
- Monitoring of visitor behaviour using an AI-powered engine
- Personalization option for landing page
- Landing page elements can be designed using drag and drop builder
- Setting up an A/B test is simple
- The user can duplicate the landing page to create variation
- Smart Traffic automatically reroutes traffic for the best conversion
- One cannot perform A/B testing on pages that created outside Unbounce
- Customization is limited
Unbounce supports 14 days free-trial. The three plans available on Unbounce are:
- Launch: $90/month
- Optimize: $135/month
- Accelerate: $225/month
9. Zoho PageSense
On the desired audience size, you can carry out A/B testing in Zoho PageSense. Further, the visitor segment can be targeted. You can customize your own target audience or go for a pre-set audience segment.
Pre-segment audiences include direct visitors, referral traffic, social traffic, mobile and tablet traffic, desktop visitors and new visitors.
If you need to test more than one web page, you can also go for a split-test on Zoho PageSense. The result of the A/B test is provided in a very detailed form to give you complete information on why a particular variation was more successful.
The user can further filter the report. Also, the user can enable a heatmap to check how the visitors are interacting with different variations.
- Pre-set audience segmentation with the option of customized segmentation
- Detailed reporting
- Forecast on the basis of conversion rate trend
- Easy to use software
- The report is simple and, therefore, easy to understand
- Heat map
- Lacks advanced coding section
- Steep learning curve
Zoho PageSense supports the following three plans:
- Analyze: INR 960/month
- Engage: INR 1380/month
- Optimize: INR 2340/month
Kameleoon supports intuitive A/B testing and provides the users with all the features that are required for full-fledged A/B testing. In addition to A/B testing, Kameleoon also supports multivariate test variation.
Kameleoon comes with Kameleoon testing tools which make experimenting through A/B testing a cakewalk. The platform provides the existing tools and of course, the user has the option of creating their own goals.
The result of the A/B testing by Kameleoon can throw light on how to increase
- Conversion rate
- Retention rate
- Visitor engagement
The platform supports code editors which makes it easier for the user to create complex experiments without any coding knowledge. You can further use Kameleoon to segment the audience based on more than 25 criteria.
- Developer-friendly code editor
- Audience segment with more than 25 criteria
- A simulation tool to work with the hypothesis
- Multi-armed bandit pushes traffic to the winning variation
- Java code and CSS code can be used for working on complex experiments
- Supports plenty of integration
- Interface has bugs
- The result of a significant statistical test requires time
- Is not beginner-friendly
Pricing of Kameleoon is available on demand
The A/B testing feature of Hubspot is suitable for both small and big businesses. The A/B testing is a part of its complete marketing and CRM. A/B testing on Hubspot can be run for:
- Landing pages
- Website pages
Hubspot supports many added features that manage different elements like customer interaction and web analytics.
If you just want to get started with A/B testing, Hubspot is the tool that is worth giving a shot.
- Page editors make it easy to create variation
- Multi-language variations for simultaneous tests
- Supports a wide range of attributes for filtering and sorting the test result
- Meets the requirement of industry standard
- The entire CRM package is available under one roof
- The user can choose metrics like test duration and traffic distribution
- Expensive option
- Not suitable if you only want the A/B testing feature
Starts at $800/month for CRM contacts with an onboarding fee.
12. Adobe Target
With A/B and multivariate testing, you can let off the troubling guesswork related to improving the users’ digital experience. Carrying out A/B testing on Adobe Target is extremely easy because the platform has thrown the complexity right out of the window.
Launching A/B testing on Adobe Target is as easy as:
- Selecting metrics for success
- Setting sample size
- Launching the test
Further, the platform walks you through the entire test-creating process. Adobe Target further allocates the traffic to the winning variation to increase your business’s conversion and revenue.
- Tests and personalize the app and mobile web application
- Multi-arm bandit testing
- Supports unlimited variation for test
- Integration with Adobe Analytics
- The drag and drop feature makes it easier to set up tests
- Rearranging feature is complicated
- Flicker issues
Pricing of Adobe Target is available on request
13. Evolv AI
Evolv AI has uplifted the traditional experimentation process by giving the users analytics that is data-packed. You can carry out simultaneous tests using Evolv AI and bypass the conventional limitation of other A/B testing platforms.
You can use the omnichannel personalization features of Evolv AI to customize the test according to the unique attributes of the customers. The rule-based targeted optimization allows the users to segment the audience to give customer engagement a boost.
Further, Evolv AI can be integrated with other analytics platforms to get the statistics that you really want. Further, the platform measures life performance and allocates the traffic accordingly.
- Reporting dashboards that support weighted KPIs
- Flow feature supports comparison of customer segment behaviour
- Manual and automatic targeting
- Easy integration with existing systems and applications
- Users can learn the change in the behaviour of customers over time
- Tightened feedback loop due to micro-decision taking ability of the platform
- The sorting option of data is limited
- Steep learning curve
The pricing of Evolv AI is available on demand
SiteSpect is the complete package of optimization platforms that supports A/B testing, personalization, rollouts and recommendations. The A/B testing feature of SiteSpect supports more than hundreds of metrics. In addition to that, it supports both client-side and server-side testing.
The dashboard of SiteSpect can be used to measure
- User actions
- Conversion funnels
The analytics of the A/B testing of SiteSpect provides the users with reports, alerts and deep segmentation. The campaigns can further be managed proactively, thanks to its real-time alerts.
- Concurrent testing
- The proxy architecture ensures high performance and no flicker
- Client-side and server-side testing
- Promotes winning variation automatically
- Users can be segmented on the basis of criteria like geography, behaviour, time and user agent
- Integrates with another analytics program seamlessly
- Steep learning curve
- The metric calculation is difficult to figure out
The pricing of SiteSpect is available on request
15. Webtrends Optimize
With Webtrends Optimize, you have the power to experiment without any restriction. Webtrends Optimize can be used for doing A/B testing on:
- Images, audio and video
- Layout and design
- Contact and booking forms
- Content length
Webtrends Optimize not only provides its users with data but also, data-driven solutions which can be used for increasing the revenue of their investment. The platform is easy to use, however, one can also use the advanced editor of the platform which is a powerful tool but can be used by the users who have coding skills.
Webtrends Optimize supports the WYSIWYG visual editor tool which can be used for doing simple A/B testing as well as complex variations of it.
- Third-party integrations
- Single-line JS implementation
- Involves only five steps for the creation of A/B testing
- Easy integration with different platforms
- Reporting can be used for deep analysis of data
- Visual editor for easy customization
- A heat map is missing
- Doesn’t support a quick preview of the Control and Experiment page
Webtrends Optimize supports three plans:
- Managed Service: Pricing available on request
- SaaS License: £ 179/month
- Tailor-Made: Pricing available on request